ELSI in Review • November 2023
About this listing
ELSI in Review is a listing of recently published reviews of the literature on key ELSI topics curated by CERA staff. Our November 2023 set explores the ethics of risk prediction in youth mental health, the implementation of precision medicine in India, and more. If you would like your ELSI-relevant review featured in this communication, please contact us at [email protected]. You can find more reviews in the ELSIhub Publications database!
Newborn and Pediatric Genetics
- D’Gama, A. M., & Agrawal, P. B. (2023). Genomic medicine in neonatal care: Progress and challenges. European Journal of Human Genetics. Advance online publication.
- Magnifico, G., Artuso, I., & Benvenuti, S. (2023). A systematic review of real-world applications of genome sequencing for newborn screening. Rare Disease and Orphan Drugs Journal, 2(3), 16.
- Ormond, K. E., Blasimme, A., & Vayena, E. (2023). Ethical aspects of pediatric genetic care: Testing and treatment. Pediatric Clinics of North America, 70(5), 1029–1046.
- Smith, W. R., Appelbaum, P. S., Lebowitz, M. S., Gülöksüz, S., Calkins, M. E., Kohler, C. G., Gur, R. E., & Barzilay, R. (2023). The ethics of risk prediction for psychosis and suicide attempt in youth mental health. The Journal of Pediatrics, 263, Article 113583.
Assisted Reproductive Technologies
- Alon, I., Chebance, Z., Massucci, F. A., Bounartzi, T., & Ravitsky, V. (2023). Mapping international research output within ethical, legal, and social implications (ELSI) of assisted reproductive technologies. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, 40(9), 2023–2043.
- Alon, I., Chebance, Z., Massucci, F. A., Bounartzi, T., & Ravitsky, V. (2023). Mapping ethical, legal, & social implications (ELSI) of assisted reproductive technologies. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, 40(9), 2045–2062.
Gene Editing in Animals
- Brown, J. L., Voth, J. P., Person, K., & Low, W. C. (2023). A technological and regulatory review on human–animal chimera research: The current landscape of biology, law, and public opinion. Cell Transplantation, 32.
- de Graeff, N., Jongsma, K. R., Johnston, J., Hartley, S., & Bredenoord, A. L. (2019). The ethics of genome editing in non-human animals: A systematic review of reasons reported in the academic literature. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 374(1772), Article 20180106.
- Kuzma, J., Grieger, K., Cimadori, I., Cummings, C. L., Loschin, N., & Wei, W. (2023). Parameters, practices, and preferences for regulatory review of emerging biotechnology products in food and agriculture. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 11.
- Chen, W., Wang, Y., Zemlyanska, Y., Butani, D., Wong, N. C. B., Virabhak, S., Matchar, D. B., & Teerawattananon, Y. (2023). Evaluating the value for money of precision medicine from early cycle to market access: A comprehensive review of approaches and challenges. Value in Health, 26(9), 1425–1434.
- Goyal, I., & Yennappu, M. (2023). Institutionalization of personalized medicine in India: Analysis of research trends and government interventions. Personalized Medicine, 20(3), 283–297.
- Kumar, D. (2023). Indigenous population genome databases for India and South Asia: Emerging need for health and social applications. Journal of Genetics, 102(2), Article 46.
- McKibbin, K., & Shabani, M. (2023). Genomic data as a national strategic resource: Implications for the genomic commons and international data sharing for biomedical research and innovation. Journal of Law, Medicine & Ethics, 51(2), 301–313.